Saturday, March 31, 2012

Easter eggs, English Club and Breakfast group!

On Tuesday, the students at the Obed Day Center spent part of their day celebrating the Easter season by dying Easter Eggs. Each student dyed four eggs. They were very patient as each student carefully retrieved their eggs from the dye. There were no spills :)

During the 7th and 8th grade English clubs this week, the students learned new English words by making crafts. 7th grade painted sun catchers and practiced words such as window, paint, sun, glass etc. 8th grade excitedly made fleece tie pillows. Their patience wore a little thin as they began tying the fleece but they were proud of their end products. And we learned that when you make pillows, you have to make a pillow fight :)


 On Friday afternoon, I went to visit Robert who
 had been missing quite a bit of school lately. When I first arrived on his street, he hid because he knew that he was going to be in trouble for missing so much school. After a few minutes of soccer, he told me that he didn't like going to school right now because he didn't know the alphabet or how to write like his classmates did. He had missed a lot of school through out the year for various reasons.

While I cannot teach him to read Romanian because that would require that I knew how to read Romania, I figured I could help him with his handwriting. He pulled out his notebook and showed me what he was suppose to be working on.
For a few minutes, we sat on the side of the road and practiced writing the letters "s" and "t". After awhile, the fact that there were UNO cards in my bag became know and the desire to play became a huge distraction. After a few games of UNO, the idea of a Saturday morning study session was born. After much debating as to what he wanted to for breakfast, it was decided. Robert would meet me at the Ruth School at 9:30 and I would have cereal, milk and a banana for him for breakfast. I held up my half of the bargain and so did he. Robert even brought his brother (Alex) and a friend with him. Luckily, I had invited my Romanian friend, Stefan, to help out. Robert and I spent the morning writing the alphabet on a dry erase board while Stefan worked with the older two on writing journals and adding fractions. It was a great morning! We all worked diligently for about 90 minutes before deciding to call it quits for the day. I didn't want to overkill it because they wouldn't come back the next week. All three boys promised to return next Saturday for more cereal, milk, bananas and oh yeah learning!

1 comment: