Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Books, ice cream, and packing

Well, it's Tuesday already. This time next week, I'll be in Romania probably not sleeping a wink in anticipation of the shopping trips for Ikea and setting up my apartment.

But before we get to all that, there was and is still a lot to do here in the States before I depart with Ginger and Zach in tow. This past Sunday my Sunday school class spent the morning in fellowship over breakfast at the local Tastee Freeze. And yes, I did have an ice cream sundae for breakfast because my mother wasn't there to scold me and I feel like I might have to start being a grown-up next week.

After ice cream breakfast fellowship and church, I went to Louisa to meet up with my old fifth grade teacher and dear family friend, Maxine Ryan. Ms. Ryan had been collected some well loved but still readable children's books in English for the Ruth School library's English section. After chatting for a bit, we went out for ice cream cones. Those of you who love ice cream as much as I do realize that sundaes and cones are completely different food groups therefore completely acceptable for the same day. Plus, I have never managed to find cookie dough ice cream in Romania so I shouldn't pass up an opportunity to have my fill of it now.

Memorial day is typically a day of family time outside around the grill. The Garton family had family time but it was around suitcases and the scale. My dad took me for a last minute Wal-Mart trip for items like Pam cooking spray, cupcake tins, Cheez-Wiz, chocolate chips and variety of other things that are either not in Romania or easily accessible for me. After this trip, we continued the careful art of packing suitcases.These suitcases are jam packed full of things like my sewing machine, pressure cooker, 5 dozen canning jars, cupcake tins, Pyrex dishes, etc. After about three hours, everything was mostly packed and all bags weigh 48 pounds (50 is the limit). In order to make this weight goal, my mom currently has place settings for four of Corelleware in her carry on. Yes, there are plates in Romania but almost everyone in my family has a set of these dishes and they were on clearance at an outlet at the beach last summer so in the suitcase they go. What will be interesting is seeing Mom pass what we call the BA(British Airways) test which is lifting the bag in to the overhead bin without assistance. I think, Zachary might end up have to be Ginger when comes to that test :)

No comments:

Post a Comment